Music Yukon’s From the North: a travelling show from Yukon, NWT & Nunavut is one of forty Canada 150 signature events. This project will showcase the diversity and vibrancy of the Canadian territories on a national level. Performers and visual artists from Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut will be showcased through evening performances and day time public outreach and engagement activities. The tour will take place from late October to mid- November 2017 and will travel to Whitehorse, Yellowknife, Iqaluit, Ottawa, Montreal and Vancouver.
Entitled Northern Light, the touring visual art exhibit is a component of this project aimed at complementing From the North. The work of six visual artists will be exhibited in three venues across Canada and will centre around the theme of light. From winter’s aurora borealis tosummer’s midnight sun, we aim to share northern light in its different forms with the rest of Canada, as well as, sharing the skill and diversity of northern art.
A jury will select six artists who live and work in Canada’s North from the proposals we receive.Two artists will be chosen from each of the three territories. We are looking for artist’s workthat explores our stunning and diverse northern light in its many different forms, using both abstract and representational approaches. There will be a total of 15 pieces featured in the exhibit, 2-3 per artist. The exhibit is confirmed to show at the Vancouver Public Library in September and at the Yukon Arts Centre Community Gallery in October. We are in discussions with an Ottawa venue for exhibiting in November.
All work must be two dimensional to ensure ease of transport and to fit the constraints of confirmed exhibit venues. As the venues for this project are public spaces, work must be appropriate for all ages. Artists include work at their own risk. No security or insurance will cover the work while on display. The exhibit focuses on the showcasing of northern art, there are no staff to facilitate sales at any of these venues. You will instead be paid to participate.
Requirements and eligibility
- Artists must have lived in Yukon, Northwest Territories or Nunavut for at least two years prior to submitting a proposal
- Work submitted must be the pieces proposed for inclusion, not examples of work
- Work submitted must fit the theme of “Northern Light”
- Work submitted must be professionally stretched/displayed (further information will be
provided about display and hanging of work)
- Work submitted must be no larger than 36x48 inches
Successful artists can expect
- Each artist will receive $1200 for participating in the exhibit
- Two to three pieces will be selected from each artist
- Shipping and hanging will be paid for and organized by the project
- Work will be exhibited in Vancouver, Whitehorse and likely one additional city
- Artists will be promoted under the From the North project
- Your work will be returned to you once the project is complete
To submit a proposal please include the following:
- 4-6 digital images (in jpeg format) of the work to be included (other work will not be accepted if these pieces become unavailable)
- An artist’s biography
- An artist’s CV and/or statement (including contact information)
- A media list including the titles, dimensions in inches, year completed and medium of
the artwork proposed.
Proposals can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively placed on a USB flash drive, labelled with your name and dropped off in person, or mailed to:
Northern Light Submissions North End Gallery
118-1116 Front St Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 1A3